Conversion of former De Beers Diamonds Headquarters to upmarket apartments called ‘Charters’. This project, located on the edge of Sunningdale in Surrey, involved the conversion of a Grade II Listed Art Deco mansion dating from the 1930’s, into luxury apartments. Built at great expense in 1937 for the industrialist Frank Parkinson, Charters was one of the last 'Stately Homes' built in England.
From the early 1950's Charters was used as a secret research establishment for Vickers, makers of the Spitfire fighter plane, who subsequently sold it to de Beers Industrial Diamonds. De Beers continued their predecessors high security control of the estate for almost twenty years.
The completed scheme totals 120,000 sq ft. which also included two new apartment blocks. The site was located in the Green Belt and an enabling argument was presented to justify the new development. The scheme included the restoration of the gardens and the main Art Deco mansion together with a spa and leisure facilities.